Thursday, January 3, 2013

Brother Lawrence


Today I want to share with you a quiet time gem I was introduced to many years ago by my husband David.  It is a very tiny book called "The Practice of the Presence of God" and it consists of journals and letters from a monk named Brother Lawrence who lived in the 1600's.  I just started rereading it and in this season of life it is having a completely new impact on my relationship with God. Now I know it may seem that a monk who lived 400 years ago would have nothing in common with our lives now but that is the beauty of Christianity.  We have a great deal in common with all believers regardless of when or where they live!  When you are reading the version of this book with updated language (i.e. removal of thees & thous) this could just as easily be written today by anyone desiring to draw near to God and be in His prescence continually.  It is basically one man's inner thoughts on how to stay always in God's prescence and the blessings that it can bring.  It is very encouraging because Brother Lawrence was just an average guy like the rest of us who never intended for his words to be published so it is very candid. It is such a short book that last time I read it in a matter of days.  This time I'm reading it right after our small group has finised the Experiencing God study by Henry Blackaby and I think by doing Blackaby's study first Brother Lawrence's book has taken on a much deeper meaning for me.  There is so much in this little book you can read a paragraph and meditate on how to incorporate it's truth into your walk with God all day!  Anyway I just wanted to share with you what a blesssing this tiny little book has been in my life and hopefully if you're in need of an encouraging book you can pick it up (Amazon has it for $6 here).

P.S. If you're visiting my page to find out more about Kingsfield Church's trip to Beacon of Hope Orphanage in the Philippines you can find out more information about the trip here.

No comments:

Post a Comment